UROLOGY EDUCATION PROGRAMS
Several universities offer either stand-alone modules in urology, or certificates, diplomas or masters programs which incorporate elements of urology care programs. There is often flexibility in how you undertake further study. You may wish to take a single stand-alone module to enhance your understanding of general principles of urology, or a specific aspect of care, for example incontinence, or urodynamics. Some of the educational institutions allow you to build on previous modules to attain an award such as certificate, diploma or degree. Below is a list of some of the institutions offering various urological educational programs. The list is not exhaustive and programs may change without notice, so it is always advisable to search for newer programs that may be on offer. If you do find others, send us an email and we will include them here.
If you are pursuing an educational award specifically for meeting the educational requirements of an advance practice post, ensure that the award you receive from your course of study will meet the criteria required by the NMBI. Most of the Irish universities offer postgraduate programmes in nursing, including advanced practice nursing, however, few offer specific urology focused components. The following links may offer additional choices. Some are offered in an eLearning environment, others a mix of blended learning with some attendance or clinical coursework required. The first section lists the universities/associations offering courses with a urological focus or interest. The second section lists organisations offering practical courses such as urodynamics or flexible cystoscopy. The third section provides a link to the NMBI eLearning Resources for Irish nurses and midwives. While not necessarily urological in focus, this is a valuable list of eLearning resources including information on HSELand.ie, the HSE’s award winning eLearning resource. Another useful resource where you can gain CPD/CUE credits NurseCPD is provided.
- Royal College of Surgeons Ireland (RCSI) offer a module on ‘Care of the Urology Patient’ on a phased basis. It may be offered on a stand-alone basis as well as part of a formal academic program. Click on the link and search the programmes offered, or contact the school of nursing to enquire http://www.rcsi.ie/nursing
- The University of Ulster faculty of nursing often run stand-alone Urology modules which can be conducted by eLearning as a single program of study or incorporated into an award of certificate, post graduate diploma or degree (MSc.).
Specifically, the Applied Health Studies PgCert/PgDip/MSc details can be found in link below, once there, click on the ‘Modules’ link on the left to see the specific urological modules offered.
or try searching the nursing section of the website at https://www.ulster.ac.uk/faculties/life-and-health-sciences/schools/nursing/study
- Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield UK, faculty of health and welling offer a stand-alone module in prostate cancer. Progressing with additional modules can lead to an award of a certificate, post graduate diploma or MSc. in prostate cancer care. Information on their program can be found here https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/find-a-course/mscpgdippgcert-prostate-cancer-care
- The European Association of Urology Nurses (EAUN) host the European School Urology Nursing which runs educational courses specifically for urology nurses. Information on current and past courses can be found here http://nurses.uroweb.org/nurses/education-2/esun-courses/
The EAUN have also begun to offer E-courses which can be found here http://nurses.uroweb.org/nurses/education-2/e-courses/
- The British Association of Urology Nurses(BAUN) host a number of workshops on the day preceding their annual conference. In the past these workshops have included flexible cystoscopy which included theory and practical aspects of training. You can find details on their website https://www.baun.co.uk/
- Urodynamics Courses.
- Laboire – click on this link to access the education section and use the filters to find an appropriate course http://www.laborie.com/education-search-uro/
- NHS North Bristol Trust – Bristol Urological Institute offer a number of urodynamics courses. Access their website here https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/bristol-urological-institute/bui-education
- Flexible Cystoscopy Courses.
- The University of Dundee run a 1-day practical introductory courses aimed at junior urological trainees and urology nurses in the use of the flexible cystoscope. Information on the program can be found here https://cuschieri.dundee.ac.uk/courses/nurse-practitioners-thiel-urology/flexible-cystoscopy-course-urology-trainees-and-specialist Click on the ‘contact us’ link on their website to find out when the next course is being held.
- Genesis Medical in the UK run flexible cystoscopy courses. Access their website here https://genmedhealth.com/ and search their ‘EDUCATION & EVENTS’ section for ‘cystoscopy’ to see when the next course is being held.
Non Urology Specific Educational Sites
- The following link is for the NMBI’s eLearning resources for Irish nurses and midwives. There are a range of online resources which have been created to assist nurses and midwives and broaden their knowledge and skill. https://www.nmbi.ie/Standards-Guidance/eLearning
- Hseland.ie The Health Services e-Learning and Development service contains over 130 online learning programmes, resources, assessment & planning tools to support you in your current job role and with your personal and professional development.
- Another site, although not urology specific, www.NurseCPD.ie is an online continuing professional development site for Irish nurses and healthcare professionals. There are a number of urology modules offered which you can gain CPD/CUE points.